Sunday, June 28, 2020

Diary entry of a 1st Class passenger

After reading Titanic Detective Agency by Lindsay Littleson https://lindsaylittleson.co.uk/book/the-titanic-detective-agency/, I was inspired to write my own Titanic themed diary entry. Unlike Lindsay`s, this was not based on real passengers. 


April 10th, 1912



Dear Diary,

Mother has requested I dress in my finery (and of course I didn’t refuse!) My fair ringlets fell down to my waist. I admired them in my dressing table mirror as a cool breeze swept through my open window. Miss Altson (my governess) had insisted I wear a light smattering of lip-gloss and you don’t refuse Miss Altson. Anyway, I kind of wanted to. I went to get ready. My satin blue dress with frilly turquoise bows, red patent shoes, white tights, new fur lined coat and velvet lilac hair bows seemed suitable for this occasion. Dancing down the spiral staircase, I saw Miss Altson, mummy, daddy, and Tojo (my Pomeranian) waiting at the door for me. Miss Altson frowned, “Aren’t you forgetting something?” she questioned. “Pardon?” I replied. “Your gloves Miss Lillian,” she sighed. “Ah!” I pulled on the satin gloves with lace frills and turned to mummy. “Ready?” I asked. “Yes darling.” she replied.



Running towards the automobile, I rattled the door trying to open it. It was locked. “Open up!” I yelled. “Yes ma’am.” A butler came and unlocked the car. The boot and carriages of my entourage were jam packed, but thankfully I had plenty of room inside. Porters had been loading the car all day and now, I was leaving my country mansion with it’s old antiques and crawling ivy up the outside wall forever. I was going to America as a first-class passenger on the biggest ship in the world and I wasn’t coming back! We drove out of the avenue steadily but not before I glanced back at my house. Tojo who was sitting on my lap, licked my face lovingly. His golden fur was rubbing my cheek tentatively. At least one hour or so later, though it felt like an age, we arrived at Southampton docks. The massive outline of Titanic loomed in front of me. I slipped Tojo’s lead and collar over his muzzle as Manuel (my personal butler) opened the door with a graceful bow. Hopping out of the car whilst holding Tojo proved difficult but I managed anyhow. “Ola mademoiselle!? Como estas? “Err?...” Manuel is still trying in vain to speak English, though unfortunately he could only say, “Where is a book you little swine?” Of course, he does not understand what he is saying. “Hello.” I said uncertainly. He smiled and gave another low bow before departing to unload the luggage.



The busy docks were packed with excited people hustling and bustling and saying their farewells. I followed mummy, daddy and Miss Altson with Tojo trotting happily by my side. As we reached the top of the gangway, I looked down over the railing. My car was being loaded on to the ship, it’s red paint gleaming in the sunlight. But another thing caught my gaze. People in scruffy clothes were being searched for something, their matted hair being pulled roughly aside. “Daddy?” I said, “Who are they?” I asked. “Steerage passengers having their health checks no doubt.” came the reply. “How uncivilised.” I muttered, silently scolding them.



We went inside and were met by none other than Captain Smith himself! He spoke to daddy before turning to me. “Would you like a little tour?” he asked. “Yes please!” He showed us a lot of dull things at first and, sensing my lack of enjoyment, he decided to show us the grand staircase. I rubbed my gloved hand across the lavishly polished oak balustrade that was shining grandly. The red carpeted floor beneath my feet made me feel like my favourite film star, Dorothy Gibson who is also supposed to be travelling on Titanic. We were impressed by the enormous gymnasium with high windows and exercise machines (just like daddy’s one at home!) Seeing the parlour suite with a nursery just for me has, so far, been my upmost favourite.



My bed is a giant four poster queen sized, with velvet pink curtains, and a silk quilt. Though you may not believe it, there is about a hundred toys! There is soft dolls with gently smiling faces and a big golden rocking horse stationed in the middle of the room. His saddle is bright red. I love them all. A delicate stained-glass window stands grandly in the corner, sending a crescendo of colours flying everywhere. I wish I could write more but I fear mummy’s calling and I don’t want to be badly in trouble by ignoring her!



Write later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A World Divided

A World Divided   L.M Owens   Before the earth was divided by oceans and mountains, there were three kingdoms spread across the wor...